In this section
Abuse, threats of violence, including domestic abuse
If you think you may have to move out of your current home because you are facing abuse and threats of violence, including domestic violence, the following organisations can provide support for you:
If you are a woman affected by domestic abuse:
- Watford Women’s Centre can offer support through 1:1 appointments with a highly experienced member of staff – book a time on 01923 816229?
- Call Herts Domestic Abuse Helpline on 08 088 088 088. 0808 80 numbers are free to call from landlines and mobiles within the UK and do not appear on itemised phone bills
- Herts Area Rape Crisis and Sexual Abuse Centre can be contacted on their helpline on 01707 276512
- National organisations you can contact include:
- Women’s Aid
- National Domestic Violence Helpline – 0808 2000 247
- If you are in immediate danger call 999.
If you are a woman or a man affected by domestic abuse, you can contact the Safer Places service on their e-line number 03301 025811. Support and refuge services are provided for Watford residents by Safer Places through the St Albans and Hertsmere Women's Refuge.
If you are a man affected by domestic abuse, you can contact:
- M.A.L.E – 0808 801 0327
- MANKIND – 01823 33 42 44
If you are facing other threats or abuse, such as racial or homophobic harassment
- In an emergency call 999 or 112
- The Stop LGBT Hate Crime Helpline is a 24/7 Telephone Helpline covering England, Wales and Scotland. It can be contacted phone on 0808 801 0661
- Organisations that can help with racial harassment
Advice and support from the council
If you need advice and support from the council please complete our Housing Advice Form here. We will then contact you to arrange an appointment to see you within 5 working days to discuss your housing situation with you. We will ask you to bring several documents to the appointment. The documents needed include ones that prove your identity and your eligibility to receive advice and support, your family's details, anything written about your housing situation such as a letter or notice asking you to leave and information about your income and expenditure.