In this section
Single person in danger of or sleeping rough
If you are single person who is sleeping rough or in danger of doing so, for example, you are sofa surfing, or you have a home at the moment but are in danger of losing it, there is help available to you.
If you are aged 16-17, contact the Homeless Hub.
The Homeless Hub provides advice for 16/17 year olds on realistic housing options, can provide emergency Crashpad accommodation if it is available and help you get the support you need.
- If you need help at the weekend or evening when most offices are shut you can contact either:
- Watford Borough Council on 01923 226400 or
- Hertfordshire County Council's Children's Services on 0300 123 4043
For 18-24 year olds the Homeless Hub also provides free housing advice.
If you are older than 18, help is available here:
- New Hope’s Rough Sleeper Intervention Team at The Haven, 4 Whippendell Road, Watford WD18 7LU, open Monday - Friday, 8.30am - 4pm, phone 01923 819 929. The Intervention Team provides a range of support including help with housing and benefits problems as well as referral to support for substance misuse or mental health problems
- Ring New Hope’s 24/7 Emergency Helpline on 0300 012 0168. Alternatively you can contact Streetlink through their website and they will come to you.
- Visit New Hope’s Rough Sleeper Prevention Service located at 4 Whippendell Road, WD18 7LU. A Drop-in service operates Monday - Friday 8.30am - 10.30am, including access to a hot breakfast, shower and laundry facilities. The team there will arrange to talk to you about your support needs and how help can be put in place for you.
- If you are a man aged over 25 sleeping rough at the moment and have complex needs such substance misuse, GROW may be able to offer you support. Contact GROW on 01923 256189, or email them on firstname.lastname@example.org
Advice and support from the council
If you would like advice and support from the council first complete the Housing Advice form here. We will then contact you to arrange an appointment to see you within 5 working days to discuss your housing situation with you. We will ask you to bring several documents to the appointment. The documents needed include ones that prove your identity and your eligibility to receive advice and support, anything written about your housing situation such as a letter asking you to leave and information about your income and expenditure.
Support from the Watford Strategic Homelessness Forum
The Watford Strategic Homelessness Forum is a partnership of 16 voluntary and statutory organisations working together to combat homelessness in Watford.
The Forum has developed a set of guidelines (PDF 2.81MB) that define the services available for rough sleepers in Watford and who delivers them. These range from accommodation and food provision to advice on where to get help with substance and alcohol abuse and mental health issues.