Neighbour Complaints - Noise

General Noise

Officers will investigate complaints of noise and may be able to take action to stop it from affecting you. We can investigate many different types of noise, including:

  • Loud music,
  • Barking dogs,
  • Car or house alarms,
  • Extraction fans,
  • Regular DIY.

You will be asked to complete a diary of when you are disturbed by the noise and to describe how it affects you. This allows us to see whether the noise is likely to be causing a ‘statutory nuisance’ and if we will be able to help you resolve it. Read more about it here.

Construction Noise

We may be able to help if the noise is from a building or demolition site. Find out more information.

Making a Complaint

We encourage you to approach your neighbour to talk to them about the problem before contacting the Council. In many cases, people do not realise that there is an issue and will try to resolve things with you. If this does not work, you can contact the Council and ask for our help.

Make a complaint online

If you would like the Council to help you or if you would like some more advice, contact the Customer Service Centre on 01923 226400. You can also email your enquiry to

Out of Hours Help

An on-call officer may be able to help you out of normal office hours in certain situations.

Find out more information

rating button