Home Improvements and repairs

Home improvements and repairs

Below are some improvements that you can make to your home. Click an option for information on who would be able to help you with the home improvement:


If you want to improve the insulation or the energy efficiency of your home we are working with the Better Housing Better Health project to help you with these improvements.

Disability related improvements

The Home Improvement Agency help deliver these adaptations on behalf of Watford Council.

Building/alteration works

You need to consult with our Planning and Building Control teams for this work. If you have done this, then please feel free to check the Check A Trade website for companies.

Find a handyperson

The Age UK Hertfordshire scheme is great at providing residents with these types of services, or you could take a look on the Check A Trade website.


To receive assistance with housing repairs you must:

  • Live in Watford
  • Be a homeowner or private tenant with repairing obligations
  • Require repairs
  • Be in receipt of qualifying benefits, listed on the website
  • Live in a property that is older than 10 years
  • Have lived/owned and occupied the property for more than 3 years.

If you meet these requirements, then please continue to our Repairs form

The Council has approved a Statement of Intent, which means that even more people will be eligible under the scheme.

Feedback button