Complain about your rented property

In rented properties the council can get involved to ensure that repairs are carried out properly and in a reasonable timeframe.

However we will only look at cases where you have advised the landlord of the problems and given them an opportunity to carryout repairs.  

The council can help with the following problems: 

  • Dampness and mould growth
  • Problems with heating or hot water
  • Faulty electrics
  • Broken parts of the property e.g. windows, doors, ceilings etc
  • Overcrowding
  • Other issues that seriously affect your safety

For tenancies that started after 1 October 2015 we recommend that you make sure you have contacted your landlord in writing about any problems you are experiencing.

If you do it may protect you from being evicted for 6 months should the council have to take formal action against your landlord to get the repairs completed. 

If you wish to make a complaint about the condition of your rented property and have already unsuccessfully spoken with your landlord please contact us.

You can do this via our online form.

Feedback button