Housing Benefit

Landlord information

Housing Benefit is usually paid every four weeks in arrears directly to the landlord except when:

  • the tenant is in arrears with their rent by 8 weeks or more.
  • the tenant is unable to manage their affairs or may be unlikely to pay their rent
  • to help the tenant secure the tenancy and stay in the property
  • if you accept a lower rent, or one that is at or below Local Housing Allowance levels

If your tenant receives Housing Benefits and is in rent arrears you should contact us. Please include information about the tenant's name, address, and details of the arrears. 

You can find information about renting to people on benefits and Universal Credit on GOV.UK website 

Online Housing Benefit tenant account information

If you receive Housing Benefit for a tenant, you can view details of the account online.

Landlord self-service online

Letting property to a family member

If the tenancy agreement is on a commercial basis then your tenant may be able to make a claim for Universal Credit or Housing Benefit.

Housing Benefit cannot be claimed in the following circumstances:

  • if the person claiming is a close-relative and lives in the same property as you
  • if you’re the former partner of the tenant
  • if you are the parent of the tenant's children.
Feedback button