Housing Benefit

This is support to pay for the cost of your rent if you're on a low income, unemployed or claiming benefits.

Housing Benefit has now been replaced by Universal Credit.

If you need financial support to pay your rent and living costs, you can apply for Universal Credit.

Apply for Universal Credit

New Housing Benefit claims

In some cases, you can apply for Housing Benefit without applying for Universal Credit. 

You could be eligible if:

  • you and your partner are of State Pension age
  • you are in supported, sheltered or temporary housing

If these apply to you, you can make a claim for Housing Benefit. 

Find out more about Housing Benefit on the GOV.UK website

How to apply for Housing Benefit

Make a new claim for Housing Benefit online

Feedback button