Animal Welfare (Licensing of Activities Involving Animals)

Exotic, dangerous and wild animals licence

Apply for a licence

You must have a licence to keep any dangerous, wild or exotic animals under the Dangerous Animals Act 1976. The Act does not apply to any dangerous animal kept in:

  • a zoo
  • a circus
  • premises licensed as a Pet Shop
  • a scientific institution

The fee is £218.36 (excluding vet fees) and you can apply today.

Any applicant for a license must:

  • be at least 18 years of age
  • not have been disqualified under the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 from keeping any dangerous wild animal

A council officer and a vet will inspect the premises and a licence will only be granted when we are sure that:

  • the applicant can manage the animal
  • the animal's accommodation is adequate and secure
  • there is no public safety issue

See the list of animals that you need a licence to keep.

Each license is subject of standard conditions (PDF 106kB).

Feedback button