Health and safety at work

Workplace accidents

Employers have a legal responsibility to report certain accidents to their Enforcing Authority (i.e. the HSE or their local authority). If the council is responsible for health and safety in a business, an officer may contact the business to investigate the accident.

Employers must report an accident if:

  • there has been a fatality or serious injury
  • the injured employee has been off work for more than seven days
  • a member of the public has been taken directly to hospital
  • an employee is suffering from an occupational disease

Employers must report accidents to the relevant enforcing authority, either via their online form or by phone on 0345 300 9923.

If you would like to contact the council about an accident that has taken place in a workplace, you can do so by completing Watford's report an accident online formPlease note, that the council can only take action where the local authority are the Enforcing Authority.

Further information

You can find further information regarding reporting incidents at the HSE’s page on Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 2013 RIDDOR.

Further information for workers can be found on the HSE website.

Feedback button