Council Tax exemptions


When calculating how many people live in a property, we do not include some people. These people are sometimes referred to as ‘disregarded’. This means that they are exempt from paying Council Tax. 

A person may be disregarded if they are: 

  • Aged under 18 
  • Severely mentally impaired 
  • A full-time student in higher or further education – link to content
  • In detention or living in a bail or probation hostel
  • Receiving Child Benefit
  • School and college leavers – link to content
  • Hospital patients
  • A care home resident
  • A resident of a hostel for the homeless or night shelter
  • members (and dependents) of the international HQs and defence organisations
  • Members of religious communities
  • Non-British spouse or civil partner of a student
  • A live in care worker
  • A member of the armed forces
  • A member of visiting armed forces. Their dependants are also disregarded 
  • A diplomat

If you think you or someone in your household qualifies to be disregarded for Council Tax, you should contact us

When you make an application for an exemption you must continue to pay your current bill until you receive a decision about your application.

Feedback button