Environmental permits

You must have an environmental permit from Watford Borough Council or the Environmental Agency if you operate a regulated facility within Watford.

A regulated facility includes:

  • installations or mobile plants carrying out listed activities
  • waste operations
  • waste mobile plant
  • mining waste operations

The permit you need depends on the activity. Common activities regulated by Watford Borough Council include:

  • dry cleaners
  • petrol stations
  • vehicle resprayers
  • concrete batching plant

Some small waste operations do not need a permit if they have a waste exemption certificate from the Environment Agency.

Fees may be payable upon application.

You can check if you need a permit and see further guidance on the gov.uk website.

View our register of current Environmental permits issued by the council.

Feedback button