Appeal a benefit decision

Information if you think a benefit or decision is wrong and how to make an appeal. 

You can manage most Department for Work and Pension benefits appeals online at GOV.UK

Appeal a benefits decision online

This includes:

  • Universal Credit
  • Child Benefit
  • Tax credits
  • Jobseeker's Allowance

Reviewing a Housing Benefit decision

After you have made your claim for Housing Benefit, you will receive a decision notice in writing. 

You have the right to question this decision.

How to review a Housing Benefit decision

If you think this decision is wrong, you have the right to have the decision reviewed.

There are 3 ways you can do this.

1. Ask us to explain the decision in detail

To receive a full explanation of the original decision, you can write to us asking for a statement of reasons. You need to do this within one month of the date of your decision letter.


2. Have your claim looked at again

You can ask for your original claim decision to be reconsidered. To do this you must write to us within one month of the decision letter, explaining why you think the original decision was wrong.


3. Ask for an independent tribunal to look at your claim

It's recommended that you ask for a review or explanation before appealing as it usually answers your questions. 

You can appeal and have your case referred to the tribunal service. A judge will then decide if the original decision is correct or not. 

To make an official appeal, you need to email or contact us in writing within a month of the decision letter, explaining that you want to appeal to an independent tribunal and your reasons why. 


You can contact us by email or post



Housing Benefits Department,
Town Hall
Hempstead Road
Watford, Herts
WD17 3EX

Include this information:

  • the word ‘REVIEW’ or 'APPEAL' in the subject line
  • your full name and address
  • date of the letter and any reference number 
  • your reasons for requesting a revision or appeal

Further information 

See benefits appeal information on the Citizens Advice website

Feedback button