Watford Borough Council, in partnership with WasteAware and Veolia, is encouraging residents to recycle right this festive season
Watford Borough Council, in partnership with WasteAware and Veolia, is encouraging residents to recycle right this festive season. Over the Christmas and New Year season a lot of waste can be generated, so the council is asking residents to use their blue-lidded and green-lidded bins to recycle their festive waste.
The following items can go in your blue-lidded bin:
- plain Christmas cards without glitter
- plain non-foil based wrapping paper
- cardboard packaging (please flatten and remove sticky tape)
- clean foil
- tins, cans and aerosols
- glass jars
- plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays can also be recycled – but remember the scrunch test when recycling plastics. If it bounces back, it can’t be recycled and should go in your black-lidded bin.
In your green-lidded bin you can put:
- real Christmas trees – just leave them next to your green bin on collection day, or if they are over 6ft, please cut in half and pop into your green-lidded bin for recycling
- any food waste – everything from turkey to tea bags and left over sprouts can be recycled.
Bin collections dates for waste and recycling will be slightly different over the festive period, so check your bin calendar or visit our website at watford.gov.uk/christmasrecycling. Normal collections will resume from Monday 14 January.
Elected Mayor of Watford Peter Taylor said: “Almost half of all household waste in Watford is recycled and I want to increase this. As we approach the festive party season, recycling may not be at the forefront of everybody’s minds, but I would encourage residents to continue recycling their waste. We are committed to making Watford a cleaner, greener more sustainable town and this can only happen if everyone plays their part.”
Please note that the Customer Service Centre at the Town Hall will be closed from Christmas Day to New Year’s Day and will open on Wednesday 2 January but you can still access information and services on our website watford.gov.uk.
For waste related enquiries the Veolia contact centre will be closed on Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day. You can still access information at watford.gov.uk/rubbishandrecycling.