Watford Helps (Volunteering and Support)
During this uncertain time of the coronavirus outbreak, we know that you and lots of other people want to help support our most vulnerable residents. The council also understands that many people will need extra support, like help with shopping, walking the dog, collecting prescriptions or just having a chat. On this page you'll find information about:
Below is a map of Covid-19 charities offering food:
You can also find links to essential services and local organisations.
If you want to volunteer, or you're an organisation or business who would like to give support, please let Watford Borough Council know (we can only accept those 16 or over). We can give your details to local community and volunteering groups who are looking for help and support from people like you.
- Sign up online to volunteer now (we can only accept those 16 or over)
- Phone 01923 278503 during our usual opening hours.
Thank you so much. Your kindness can help make lives better during this difficult time.
Watford & Three Rivers Trust (COVID-19 Community Charity Appeal) - At this unprecedented time of disruption and uncertainty, our local charities and community groups are playing a vital role in supporting residents across our community. We have set up a special appeal in partnership with W3RT which will be used to support key Watford based charities providing frontline response to the impact of COVID-19. To find out how your group may be able to access this funding please contact Emily Douse at Watford CVS on CVS@W3RT.org. To donate, please visit www.mywellbeing.community/covid19-appeal or follow the instructions below:
- To donate £1, text WATFORD to 70201
- To donate £3, text WATFORD to 70331
- To donate £5, text WATFORD to 70970
- To donate £10, text WATFORD to 70191
Watford Foodbank already supports people who are in hardship, and will continue to do so during the Coronavirus outbreak. You can take your food donations to:
- The Foodbank Warehouse (Unit 5, the Empire Centre, Imperial Way, Watford, WD24 4YH)
- The collection point at Tesco Extra at Waterfields Retail Park.
For more information, please visit the Foodbank website at watfordfoodbank.co.uk or phone 01923 804435 10am to 1pm, Monday to Saturday.
There are a number of ways that you can access support:
- Residents who are part of the government's 'shielding programme' will have received a letter in the post with details of the best way to access support.
- If you have applied for support through the government’s ‘shielding programme’ but need support sooner, please complete our online form.
- Those Watford residents who do not qualify for the government's shielding programme can access support via our online form. If you know a friend, family member or neighbour who need support, you can also complete this form on their behalf. For people without internet / computer access, please advise them the number to call is 01923 278503. Support is available:
- Monday - Thursday: 8:45am to 5:15pm
- Friday: 8:45am to 4:45pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 10am to 4pm
- Any requests received outside of these times may not be reviewed by the volunteer team until the next day. Should you need support outside of these times Herts Help may be able to assist.
- Any Hertfordshire residents outside of Watford can access support via Hertfordshire County Council Community Navigators at Herts Help on 0300 123 4044 or visit their website at www.hertshelp.net
- If you are in need of medical advice, please call 111. If you require urgent medical attention you should continue to call the emergency services on 999.
- And though most people will offer genuine support, please be cautious when accepting offers of help.
Links to support organisations
Information about essential services and support organisations:
Herts Age UK
Tel: 01707 323272 (Mon-Fri between 09:00 and 16:30)
Herts Help - network of community organisations in Hertfordshire working together, and helping people in crisis to find support, guidance and information.
Tel: 0300 123 4044