Watford Junction is one of the key development opportunity hubs within the M25. Located close to Watford town centre and with a major transport interchange at its core, this 19 hectare site is just 20 minutes from central London. The scale and potential of the opportunity has attracted the attention of a number of Government departments and agencies as well as significant developer interest.
During 2018 a Watford Junction Masterplan will be finalised setting out the vision for a vibrant mixed-use neighbourhood and gateway to Watford with its own strong identity as a place to live, enjoy, do business, travel and invest. The development opportunity has been divided into 28 plots which when combined are expected to result in:
- Up to 2,777 new homes
- Two 2-form entry primary schools
- Up to 75,000m2 of employment space, including a new hotel
- Up to 7,000m2 of active ground floor uses comprising retail and community, including medical and child nursery provision
- A new and improved train station and public pedestrian concourse and bridge which will improve movement across the site and create a brand new entrance and access to the station complex
- A high quality public realm of distinction including streets and public open spaces
To date, a new station frontage has been agreed between Watford Borough Council and the Watford Junction station operator which will significantly enhance the customer experience with both improved platform access and stronger retail offer; a new cycle parking hub has been created and planning permission was granted in June 2018 for the first plot which will deliver a 146-unit, mixed-use development.
To support the overall development, Watford Borough Council has commissioned the building of a real-time computer transport model for the Watford Junction area and is working with Hertfordshire County Council, Network Rail and others to identify the best access solutions across the site.