Disputing a Benefit decision

Dispute a decision

If you disagree with a Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction decision, you can request:

  • A written explanation of our decision or
  • Ask for the decision to be looked at again or
  • Appeal our decision

If you want us to look at our decision again, you will need to do so in writing within one month of our decision. If you put in your request outside the calendar month, you will need to tell us why you did not put in your request at the appropriate time.

If you wish to appeal a Housing Benefit decision, you will need to make the appeal in writing. If our decision does not change, or we make a decision that entitles you to less benefit, your appeal will be passed onto the appeals service, where an independent tribunal will arrange a hearing for your appeal to be heard.

If you wish to appeal against a Council Tax Reduction decision, appeals are sent to the Valuation and Tribunal Service.

Please complete the Benefits Revision or Make an Appeal form or write to us at the following address: The Town Hall, Hempstead Road, Watford, WD17 3EX.

rating button