Apply for Housing Benefits

Housing Benefit

If you are a working age claimant (and this includes families with children) and you wish to make a new claim, you must apply for Universal Credit to cover your housing costs. However, some exemptions do apply:

  • You can apply for Housing Benefits if you are a tenant living in supported and exempt accommodation or living in temporary housing provided by the Council because of homelessness.
  • From January 2019, working age claimants receiving Severe Disability Premium in a legacy benefit (e.g. Job Seekers Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance) can still claim Housing Benefits unless they are moved onto Universal Credit through managed migration.
  • Pensioners can continue to apply for Housing Benefits.

If you fall under any of the categories above, you can check your entitlement to Housing Benefit, otherwise you can apply for Housing Benefit online.

rating button