Extra help with your rent
If you need extra help to pay your rent on top of your Housing Benefit, Watford Borough Council has been given a limited amount of money from the Government to assist.
This is known as a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP).
How to make a claim
To help us make a decision about your claim, please complete a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) application form.
Discretionary Housing Payments are not guaranteed and you will not automatically get a payment if you have had one previously.
The amount of help that you can get will depend on your circumstances and each request is looked at individually.
Also the length of time that you can receive a Discretionary Housing Payment will depend on your circumstances.
When we can make a Discretionary Housing Payment
- you have had your Housing Benefit reduced because of the "Bedroom Tax"
- you have had your Housing Benefit reduced because of the Benefit Cap
- your Housing Benefit does not cover all of your rent
- your Housing Benefit has been reduced because of deductions we have made because other adults are living with you (non-dependant deductions)
When we cannot make a Discretionary Housing Payment
- your rent has been increased to cover rent arrears
- you have to pay certain service charges
- your Housing Benefit has been reduced because of a sanction
- your Housing Benefit has been suspended
- you do not already receive Housing Benefit
- you have enough money to cover any shortfall in your Housing Benefit
Because the amount of money that we have available is limited, we will look at what steps you have already taken to ease the situation, for example if you have tried to negotiate a lower rent or are looking to move to a more affordable property.
We will also look to make sure you are getting all the benefits that you are entitled to and make sure that you get other help such as debt advice from CAB or Housing Options advice from our Housing Department.