A guide to living in a conservation area

Minor development in a conservation area

If you live in a conservation area, you will need to get planning permission before making some changes which might normally be permitted outside a conservation area, in order to ensure that any alterations do not detract from the area's appearance. The following development therefore requires planning permission within conservation areas:

  • cladding to the exterior of a house with stone, artificial stone, pebble dash, render, timber, plastic or tiles
  • side extensions
  • rear extensions of more than one storey
  • roof extensions and dormer windows
  • any building or enclosure within the grounds of a house required for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling (including swimming pools, garden sheds, garages and summerhouses), which is between a side elevation of a dwellinghouse and the property boundary
  • a container used for domestic heating purposes (for the storage of oil or liquid petroleum gas), which is between a side elevation of a dwellinghouse and the property boundary
  • installation/alteration/replacement of a chimney, flue or soil and vent pipe on a dwellinghouse (where they front a highway and are on the principal or side elevation)

In dealing with any applications for planning permission within conservation areas, the council will consider the effect of the proposed development upon the character and appearance of the area.

Buildings within conservation areas may also be subject to Article 4 Directions, which further restrict permitted development rights. A full list of all the Article 4 Directions is included within the Conservation Areas Management Plan

rating button