As part of our initiative to support the development of local Watford sports clubs, we are offering club volunteers the opportunity to apply for a grant to support the development of essential qualifications to maintain minimum standards as a coach / club.
The aim is to increase the number of quality coaches, officials and volunteers working within clubs to enhance and improve their performance.
How the scheme works
The sports club bursary scheme is open to all volunteers at Watford based sports clubs.
Once the application is successful, we will pay the bursary directly to the course providers or the associated sports club. The bursary will only fund part of the total cost of the course. The volunteer or club will need to book onto their course and pay the remaining amount.
Find out if you can apply
To apply you must meet the following criteria:
- You must meet the minimum age criteria set by your respective national governing body.
- Be an active volunteer of a sports club in Watford that is affiliated to its appropriate governing body.
- You can apply to the bursary scheme at any time of the year, but you must be able to start your training by the end of the financial year (31 March).
Courses available for the scheme
There are two ways to access courses in the scheme:
- Courses run by national governing bodies of sport. These include Activator role, Level 1, Level 2 coaching courses and officials / referees courses etc. Please consult the relevant sport's national governing body website for full course details.
- The Herts Sports Partnership's coach education programme.
How much funding you will get
There is limited funding available so the scheme is run on a first come, first served basis.
The amount of funding you can get will depend on the course level:
- Activator: a maximum of £50 or 50% of the total course fees (whichever is lower).
- Level 1: a maximum of £100 or 50% of the total course fees (whichever is lower).
- Level 2: a maximum of £200 or 50% of the total course fees (whichever is lower).
- Refereeing / Judging: a maximum of £100 or 50% of the total course fees (whichever is lower).
- Emergency First Aid at work (1 day): a maximum of £35 or 50% of the total course fees (whichever is lower).
- Safeguarding: Free.
Note: We will consider other workshops and courses on a discretionary basis.
Please note: Once you have completed the form, we will be in touch within two to fours weeks of receiving your application.
Terms and conditions
Volunteers who are successful and offered a bursary ust:
- Use this development opportunity to help support your club
- Give the appropriate period of cancellation notice as required by the course organise, if you are unable to attend (this will avoid any cancellation charges to you)
- Assume liability for the full course fee if you fail to turn up / complete the course
- Complete a case study (if requested)
- You must provide proof of payment for the course within two months of completion.