What is the scrutiny structure?
Overview and Scrutiny Committee
The council has set up an over-arching scrutiny committee called Overview and Scrutiny Committee. Its role includes:
- monitoring all scrutiny taking place in Watford
- setting up task groups and monitoring their progress
- reviewing the progress of agreed task group recommendations
- reviewing the Executive decision taken by cabinet, portfolio holders and officers
- monitoring the performance of services provided directly by the council
- hearing any called in decisions or councillor calls for action
- contributing to the annual scrutiny report
Budget Panel has been set up to monitor the council’s finances, including:
- examining the Medium Term Financial Plan
- examining the current year’s budget and services’ spending priorities through the Finance Digest
- reviewing proposed fees and charges for the new financial year and forwarding comments to cabinet
- reviewing the proposed budget for the new financial year and forwarding comments to cabinet
Outsourced Services Scrutiny Panel
Outsourced Services Scrutiny Panel has been set up to monitor the performance of those services which have been outsourced, including through shared services with Three Rivers District Council.
Community Safety Partnership Task Group
The Community Safety Partnership Task Group is a statutory scrutiny group. It scrutinises the Community Safety Partnership’s strategic priorities and targets for the year.
Task Groups are set up to consider specific items as agreed by Overview and Scrutiny Committee. The suggestions can be put forward by councillors, members of the public or officers. Meetings are generally open to the public and you can read a task group’s final report online.