Information for taxi and private hire operators
Information for all drivers wishing to access the High Street between Clarendon Road and King Street
- Improvement works in the High Street mean that there is no access to it for all vehicles from Clarendon Road to Market Street until 28 August.
- From 28 August 2018 access to Clarendon Road and the High Street (from the junction of Beechen Grove) will be permanently restricted by rising bollards. Access will be restricted to buses only (and service vehicles at certain times).
- Once phase one is completed passenger drop-off or pick up in the High Street (outside the new intu extension) or in Clarendon Rd (from Beechen Grove towards the High Street) will not be permitted and access through the bollards will not be granted.
- From 28 August - until the end of October 2018 phase two of the improvement works starts and there will be no vehicular access to the High Street (from King Street to Market Street). Normal access arrangements will be restored on 21 October 2018 when works are completed.
Specific information for Hackney Carriage drivers
- The part-time rank in the High Street, outside Barclays, has been permanently removed.
- A new full-time five car rank has opened in Wellstones. There is signage on the High Street showing how to get to the taxi rank, improved lighting, CCTV and a shelter. A help point has also been installed.
- The new extended feeder rank in Church Street is up and running - and working well.
- Within the next month a new four car evening and overnight rank will be created in King Street, opposite Smith Street.
Specific information for Private Hire Vehicle drivers
After the end of October 2018, access arrangements for drop off or pick up in the High Street (King Street to Market Street) will go back to normal. There are no permanent changes to traffic orders which will affect access in this section.