What changes are we making?
- Installing 'rising bollards' in Clarendon Road to limit the vehicles using the High Street to those which have permission to do so (such as buses). Currently nearly a thousand vehicles a day use this stretch of the High Street illegally. The bollards will reduce this by nearly 80% and ensure that only those who should are allowed use the road.
- Narrowing the road to allow more space for pedestrians and cyclists.
- Relocating the current taxi and blue badge bays to new locations in the town centre. This involves creating new taxi bays in Wellstones (to be reviewed) and blue badge bays in Church Street and Wellstones, with easy access to the High Street.
- Relocating some bus stops to reduce the number of buses using the route through the High Street and Market Street to the ring road. Find out which services are affected.
- Removing unwanted street clutter and upgrading items such as waste bins and bus shelters.
The timings of the improvements works are: Monday to Friday from 8am to 6pm and Saturdays 8am to 1pm.
There may be some provision for working outside these hours in order to undertake works across the shop entrances. This will be non-noisy works and will be carried out in agreement with the relevant shops and restaurants.
- The out of hours contact phone number for safety related issues is: 07553 353381
- The email address is: firstname.lastname@example.org
All enquiries should, in the first place, be directed to Murrill.