Putting Residents First
We are committed to delivering the best service we can to you. These standards set out clearly how you can expect us to treat you when you contact us.
What you can expect from us
Through the website/email or in writing
- If you email a general service email address or contact us through an electronic form on our website you will receive an automatic reply so you know we've received it.
- We will send a full reply within five working days (10 working days for Revenues and Benefits) or an explanation of any delays with a new date for a full reply.
- If the staff member you email is away you will receive an automatic reply giving their return date and the name and number of an alternative contact
When you contact us by phone
- We aim to answer calls within 20 seconds
- Calls will be answered politely and professionally
- Leave a voicemail if we don't answer, we will call back with one working day
When you visit us
- We'll make sure that all our offices are open at open at the published times and that they're accessible to all customers.
- All our officers will wear a name badge, be polite, friendly and helpful.
- We will see you as quickly as possible but if there is a wait we will keep you updated and explain any delays.
- We will offer a private interview room for confidential matters.
When we visit you
- We will tell you before we visit your home.
- Visiting staff wills always show you their name badge or official identification.
- If we need to cancel an appointment we will contact you and arrange a suitable appointment for you.
Complaints/Freedom of Information/Data Access Requests
- We will respect your right to complain
- If we can we will try to resolve your complaint informally.
- We will send a response to complaints within three working days.
- We will send a full reply within 10 working days or an explanation of any delays with a new date for full reply.
- We will always listen to feedback, act on it and use your comments to improve our services.
- We will respond to FOI request within 20 working days.
- We will respond to Data Access Requests within 40 days.
- To complain go to watford.gov.uk/complaints
Please see our Complaints page.
If you are still not happy, you can contact the Local Government Ombudsman if you are still not happy with the way we have handled your complaint and you have already gone through the three steps of the complaints procedure. The address is:
Local Government Ombudsman
London SW1P 4QP
Tel: 020 7217 4620
Fax: 020 7217 4621
If you are not satisfied with our response to your complaint about our failure to provide information under the Freedom of Information Act or Environmental Information Regulations 2004, and you have already gone through our complaints procedure, you may write to the Information Commissioner who deals with both Freedom of Information and Data Protection issues.
The address is:
FOI Compliance Team
Cheshire SK9 5AF
Other help and formats
You can contact your Mayor or local Councillor at any stage of the complaints procedure. Their details can be found on the home page under Your Councillors.
This information is available in large print or CD. If you wish to make a request you may contact us by email, letter, phone, or in person.