What is the St Albans Road Waste and flytipping project?
From spring 2019, the waste and recycling services, streets operatives and Environmental Health team will be focusing on the St Albans Road area (from Leavesden Road to Balmoral Road and immediately surrounding roads) to help improve street scene issues. This section of the road and surrounding streets have been identified as flytipping hot spots and we want to reduce this by improving local residents and businesses understanding of what the problems are and how best to dispose of waste.
The area has been split into six sections. Each section will be targeted in turn with the first section starting in spring 2019.
We will focus on:
- Waste and recycling - ensuring all residential properties have the correct bins and space to store them
- Ensuring all local businesses have the correct waste agreements and waste collection frequencies
- Increasing the enforcement presence to check for evidence in flytips
- Issuing fines to flytippers - fixed penalty notices of £300 for flytippers
- Educating the local area about what a flytip is and what else can be done with your excess waste
- Providing information to local schools about waste, recycling and flytipping
- Delivering communications materials to all residents and businesses
- Develop better links with managing agents and landlords
- Work with residents and busineses who are producing extra waste and find it hard to understand what can and can't be recycled