Which bin should I use?

What items go in the green bin?

Recycling is changing

Green-lidded bins are for garden and ALL food waste

Please recycle the following in this bin;

  • Grass clippings
  • Prunings
  • Leaves
  • Tea bags and coffee grounds
  • Fruit and vegetable peelings
  • Meat and fish bones
  • Out of date food (remove from packaging first)
  • Plate scrapings​

Kitchen caddies and compostable liners

  • kitchen caddies are for use in your house to store all of your food waste, peelings and scrapings before emptying into the green bin.
  • Caddies can be lined with compostable liners and can be purchased from the Town Hall and Wiggenhall Depot. 
  • Compostable liners are also stocked in most supermarkets, please ensure they are compostable and show the seedling logo (below)


Seedling logo 2 1

If you live in a flat and want to make use of the food waste collection service please call Veolia Watford on 020 3567 6900 or email enquiries.watford@veolia.co.uk to register your interest.

Check out our top tips to stop smelly bins.

Reduce the amount of food you throw away and save up to £60 per month - visit Love Food Hate Waste to find out more.

*Please do not overload your bins as they can become too heavy for our collection vehicle to lift safely. Any bins which are too heavy will not be emptied. When garden waste gets wet, is overly compacted or contains heavier items such as lots of food,  it can get too heavy.
* We do not accept soil or builders waste in any of our bins, (green-lidded, black or blue-lidded). Including this will result in your bin not being collected. 
rating button