How to prevent fly tipping
- Keep waste to a minimum by doing everything you reasonably can to prevent, reuse, recycle or recover waste (in that order)
- Put it in the correct bin
- Take it into a recycling centre
- Use the council's bulky waste collection service for larger items (chargeable service)
- Donate unwanted household items to charity
- Leave it outside of your house for scrap metal collectors - this is illegal and classed as fly tipping
- Leave it on the street or by a litter bin - this is classed as fly tipping
- Leave it on the floor of a bin store area (rubbish collectors don't take this away) - this is classed as fly tipping.
Everyone has a legal 'duty of care' to ensure their household or business waste is disposed of correctly. Only use registered waste carriers to dispose of waste.
You can be prosecuted even if your waste is fly tipped by someone else on your behalf.
For more information on disposing of your household waste, see our waste and recycling pages.