Parking permits

Frequently asked questions

I no longer need my permit. What should I do?

If you have sold your vehicle, are moving away or simply no longer need your permit, you should return it to the Parking Service as soon as possible. If you have more than 3 full months remaining on the permit, you will be eligible for a pro-rata refund minus £10 administration costs. Permit refund forms can be downloaded here. 

What should I do if I have a courtesy vehicle?

If your vehicle is in for repair and you are given the use of a courtesy car, you can bring your existing permit to the Parking Service where it will be exchanged for a temporary permit for a maximum of 2 weeks. On completion of the work, your existing permit will be returned to you. If you need a courtesy/hire car for longer, you should follow the change of registration process or use visitor vouchers.

What about if I change my vehicle?

As before, you will need supporting documentation relating to your ownership of the vehicle and you will need to complete an online application to request to change the vehicle details. The first replacement permit is free. However, a charge of £7 will be made for the second and any subsequent changes in any one year. Please note you are not required to return your permit in such instances. However, once a replacement application has been submitted your previous permit will be marked as void and therefore can no longer be used.

What should I do if I lose my permit?

Lost permits will not be replaced and applicants must reapply. However, if your vehicle has been stolen or written off and the permit is not available, the appropriate crime reference number or insurance documentation must be provided in order for the usual £7 charge to be waived.

I live in a new block of flats. Can I apply for a permit?

Residents living in new developments will be exempted from the parking permit scheme. This means that they will not be able to apply for either permits or visitor vouchers to park on the road outside their home and must make their own arrangements. This policy is in place as part of the planning process and may also apply to houses which have been converted into flats. Contact the Parking Service if you are unsure if your property is exempt from the scheme.

rating button