Parking restrictions

Frequently asked questions

How do I object to a new restriction being implemented?

Before the introduction of any new restrictions, the council carries out a formal consultation  with residents and motorists. Adverts are placed in the Watford Observer and notices displayed on the street. If you wish to object during the consultation period, you should contact the council's Traffic Engineer by sending a letter of objection to the Town Hall or by emailing

I find the signs difficult to understand. Can you change them to make them a bit clearer?

All councils are required by law to use signs approved by the Department for Transport. This is to try and improve the consistency of signage. Many of the signs can be found in the Highway Code but if you need any further clarity on a restriction, please contact the Parking Service on 01923 278890.

A post in my road has been knocked down. Where can I report this?

The Parking Service are responsible for the maintenance of all parking signs and posts. If it is a parking sign that has been damaged, please call the Parking Service on 01908 223508 and ask to speak to the Deputy Parking Manager. Alternatively, you can report this by email on  but please ensure that you provide as much information as possible, including the location of the post, to enable us to deal with this as soon as possible. If you wish to be kept up to date with the progress of the works, please ensure that you leave your name and contact details.

rating button