Apply for an advisory disabled parking bay
If you are a blue badge holder with no driveway or off street parking space, and have difficulty parking on the street near your home, we may be able to provide you with an advisory disabled parking bay near you home. These bays are of an advisory nature only and do not exclude motorists from parking within it. The markings will however indicate to motorists the space is intended to be used by blue badge holders and generally the presence of the bay will be respected by other drivers who do not hold a blue badge.. If the bay is provided in a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ) then the vehicle must hold a valid permit or visitor voucher.
Who can apply?
You can apply for a disabled parking bay if:
- You are a resident of Watford for at least six months of the year/or is it your main residence
- You hold a blue badge
- You receive Disability Living/Attendance Allowance (mobility component at the higher rate), or PIP Personal Independent Payment at the higher rate
- You have a vehicle (taxed and insured) registered at the address
- You or the owner of the vehicle registered to your address is able to drive it
- You do not have a driveway, garage or any other off street parking
Who can park in a disabled parking bay?
Any blue badge holder can use a disabled parking bay, not just the person who applied for the bay, as long as their blue badge is correctly displayed.
If the disabled bay is in a Controlled Parking Zone, you will still need a resident or visitor parking permit to park in the bay during restricted hours.
When we may not be able to provide a parking bay
We may not be able to provide a parking bay if:
- You fail to meet the criteria for a bay as detailed above
- Existing yellow line parking restrictions are in place
- It would cause an obstruction or issues with road safety
- Neighbour objections are upheld by the council
- The area already has a large number of bays already and another bay would severely restrict parking for other residents
What happens when you apply?
When you apply we will ask for the following information:
- Your name and contact details
- Your vehicle details, including your vehicle registration number, make and colour
And copies of your:
- Blue Badge
- Disability living allowance/attendance or PIP Personal Independence Payment
- The drivers licence of the vehicles driver
- Vehicle registration document (V5)
- Insurance document for driver’s vehicle
We will assess your application to ensure you meet the qualifying criteria. If you do, we will carry out a survey to see if there is a suitable place for a bay outside your home. We will let you know at this stage if your application has been provisionally approved or not.
If your application is provisionally approved we will write to your neighbours (usually, the houses either side of your home and the three properties immediately opposite) to consult with them about your application for a bay. This is to ensure they are aware of the proposal and that it will not cause access difficulties for them.
Assuming no valid objections are received, we will let you know if your application has been successful and make arrangements for the bay to be installed.
The whole process will take up to 12 weeks. This could be delayed if any information we require isn’t supplied with the application or if there is a period of bad weather which will delay the installation of the bay.
There is no fee for this service