Conservation areas/ listed buildings

Nationally listed buildings

These are included on a register known as the statutory list, drawn up by the Department of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 and assisted by English Heritage (EH).  If you would like information about listed buildings; heritage planning advice; heritage at risk or research, please visit the Historic England website.

You will need to obtain the council's consent to demolish a listed building or for any alteration or extension, this includes internal alterations. The need for listed building consent is different from planning permission but the process is very similar.

It is a criminal offence to carry out any work (however minor) to a listed building without prior listed building consent - even if you did not know that the building was listed. Carrying out unauthorised work is punishable by a fine or a prison sentence and the council can require you to put the building back the way it was.

Please take a look at our list of nationally listed buildings in Watford.

rating button