Watford Local Plan
Existing Local Plan
The Local Plan sets out the vision for Watford and how new development will contribute towards achieving this. The Local Plan contains planning policies and guidance that are used to make planning decisions and determine planning applications.
Planning decisions are made in accordance with the following Local Plan documents:
- Watford Local Plan 2006-2031 Part 1 Core Strategy
- Saved policies of the Watford District Plan 2000
- Minerals and Waste Local Plans (prepared by Hertfordshire County Council)
- Planning decisions and the new Local Plan need to reflect guidance set out in the Government's National Planning Policy Framework and supporting Planning Practice Guidance.
The Council progressed work on the Local Plan Part 2 which contained potential development sites and detailed planning policies. The public were consulted on Local Plan Part 2 in the autumn of 2016. However, in October 2017 the Council decided not to progress this work. Instead, the Council will focus on preparing the emerging new Local Plan.
Emerging New Local Plan
The new Local Plan will guide new development to 2036. Preparation of the document will be undertaken in several stages where the public can comment and help shape Watford's future.
If you would like to receive updates about the new Local Plan, or alternatively currently receive updates but no longer wish to do so, please contact the Watford Planning Policy team: email@example.com or 01923 278263.
Supplementary planning documents and other guidance
Supplementary planning documents provide greater detail about policies set out in the existing Local Plan and how these should be used to inform development proposals and planning decisions.
Development briefs and other guidance documents
- Locally Listed Buildings 2010
- Watford Town Centre Waymarking Strategy 2012
- Urban Design and Conservation Strategy 2014
- Nationally Listed Buildings 2014