Current local plan policies
The development plan
Planning applications are decided in line with the development plan unless material considerations indicate otherwise.
Watford’s development plan is:
- The Watford Local Plan 2006-2031 Part 1 Core Strategy
- The remaining saved policies of the Watford District Plan 2000
- The Minerals and Waste Local Plans, prepared by Hertfordshire County
Emerging local plan policies
On 17 October 2017 Council resolved not to progress the Local Plan Part 2 to submission
We are now working on a new Local Plan for the period to 2036.
Supplementary Planning Documents and other guidance
Supplementary planning documents (SPD) give more detail, expanding on policies in the plan. See all supplementary planning guidance.
Draft Supplementary Planning (not yet adopted):
- Watford Junction Masterplan (which will replace the 2004 Development Brief)
Development briefs and other guidance documents
- Locally Listed Buildings 2010
- Watford Town Centre Waymarking Strategy 2012
- Urban Design and Conservation Strategy 2014
- Nationally Listed Buildings 2014
Conservation Area Character Appraisals
- Macdonnell Gardens 2012
- High Street/King Street 2013
- Watford Heath 2013
- Oxhey 2014
- Civic Core 2015
- Estcourt 2015
- Nascot 2015
- St Mary's 2015
- Grove Mill Lane 2017
- The Square 2017
Other draft guidance (not adopted):
Government Policy and Planning Guidance
We must also take account of government policy when preparing plans and considering planning applications. Download a copy of the National planning policy and guidance.