Current local plan policies
The development plan
Planning applications are decided in line with the development plan unless material considerations indicate otherwise.
Watford’s development plan is:
- The Watford Local Plan 2006-2031 Part 1 Core Strategy
- The remaining saved policies of the Watford District Plan 2000.
- The Minerals and Waste Local Plans, prepared by Hertfordshire County.
Emerging local plan policies
We are currently preparing the Local Plan 2006-2031 Part 2 - Development Management Policies and Site Allocations. Publication consultation of Local Plan Part 2 Site Allocations and Development Management policies ended on Monday 3 October 2016, together with consultation on a draft Watford Junction Development Brief and a Croxley View/Ascot Road Study.
You can view all consultation documents, including the evidence base and accompanying reports via the Consultation Portal.
Alongside this we are also working on the evidence base for the next plan which will cover the period 2016-2036.
Supplementary Planning Documents and other guidance
Supplementary planning documents (SPD) give more detail, expanding on policies in the plan. See all supplementary planning guidance.
Draft Supplementary Planning (not yet adopted):
- Watford Junction Masterplan (which will replace the 2004 Development Brief)
- Communted Sums for Affordable Housing
Development briefs and other guidance documents
- Leggatts Development Brief 2007
- Locally Listed Buildings 2010
- Watford Town Centre Waymarking Strategy 2012
- Urban Design and Conservation Strategy 2014
- Nationally Listed Builidings 2014
Conservation Area Character Appraisals
- Macdonnell Gardens 2012
- High Street/King Street 2013
- Watford Heath 2013
- Oxhey 2014
- Civic Core 2015
- Estcourt 2015
- Nascot 2015
- St Mary's 2015
- Grove Mill Lane 2017
- The Square 2017
Other draft guidance (not adopted):
Government Policy and Planning Guidance
We must also take account of government policy when preparing plans and considering planning applications. Download a copy of the National planning policy and guidance.