Planning permission

Do I need planning permission?

As a general guide, you need planning permission for new buildings, major alterations to existing buildings and to change the use of buildings or land.

If you intend to start work on property or land that you own, it's your responsibility to seek out the necessary approvals, permissions and consents required. If you go ahead without permission, you may end up having to put things back to how they were.

The Planning Portal has lots of information covering a wide range of common household projects and the guidance covers both planning permission and building regulations rules.

If you need more information or are unsure we have a duty planning officer available for pre-booked 15min appointments on Mondays and Fridays between 10am and 12.20pm.  Appointments are available over a rolling 2 week period and can be booked by contacting our Customer Service Centre on 01923 226400.

The duty planner can discuss general planning issues and offer informal guidance on householder extensions and small scale changes to premises.  This is without the benefit of site visits or taking into account external factors such as neighbour and interested parties views.

If you require a written response, this is available by using our pre-application service 



rating button