If you know of a development that is being built, altered or having its use changed without permission, you can report it online.
Planning breaches you can report
You can report the following:
- a development without planning permission
- a development not built to agreed permission
- unauthorised change of use
- unauthorised works to a listed building
- an advert that needs consent
- unauthorised works to a tree with a tree preservation order
- breach of planning permission conditions
Before you contact us
Before you report something, you must check if the work:
- already has planning permission
- needs planning permission
- if it's a matter we investigate (see below)
Check if the work has planning permission
You can see if the development has planning permission using a simple postcode search
See if the development is allowed
Some development work can be done without planning permission.
This is called permitted development.
See if the work is permitted development on the planning portal website
What we can't investigate
The following complaints aren't included as planning breaches and you'll need to report them separately.
- boundary disputes
- party wall disputes
- noise complaints
- health and safety on building sites
- anonymous complaints
- building regulations
- building of scaffolding
- deliveries to building sites (if causing an obstruction - phone non-emergency 101)
- parking issues on the highway
Report a planning breach online
You'll usually be contacted within 3 working days.