Gambling Premises

A premises licence under the Gambling Act 2005 is required for any premises which offers premises-based gambling. A licence is needed to operate a:

  • casino
  • bingo hall
  • betting office (including at sporting venues)
  • amusement arcade

Watford Borough Council has passed a resolution that we will not issue any casino licences.

Every premises that requires a premises licence will also need an operators licence, and may also need personal licences, from the Gambling Commission.

You should read our gambling policy before applying.

You must consider how your activities will impact on:

  • keeping gambling fair and open
  • preventing gambling from becoming a source of crime and disorder
  • protecting vulnerable people from harm

Applications must be submitted with a completed application form, a scale premises plan, and the relevant fee. You must also complete a form to submit to the responsible authorities for gambling applications to notify them of your application. The type of form you need to complete depends on whether you are an individual applicant or multiple applicants.

The Gambling Commission have many guidance notes and leaflets on when you need a licence and what constitutes gambling.

Applications must be advertised by a public notice in a local newspaper and on the premises for 28 days.

A hearing will be arranged within 20 working days of the consultation closing to consider any objections.

Your application will be granted if no objections are received by the end of the consultation period, otherwise the determination will be made at a hearing.

  • A new premises licence costs £864.
  • A licence transfer, or the reinstatement of a licence, costs £864.
  • A replacement licence costs £25.
  • A change of name or address costs £50 for a licence.

Licence holders must comply with the conditions of their licence and the mandatory conditions set by the government.

Licence holders must notify the council if they change the name of the premises, the name or address of the licence holder, or if they need a replacement licence.

If you are buying a licensed premises, you must apply to transfer the licence to you or your company. You must notify the responsible authorities of your application. The type of form you need to complete depends upon whether you are an individual applicant or multiple applicants.

Unsuccessful applicants and objectors may appeal to the magistrates’ court within 21 days of being notified of a decision.

Please read our information about objecting to licences. Email or call 01923 278476.

rating button