Health and safety at work – for businesses

What businesses need to know

The council can give advice and support to certain businesses about workplace health and safety. These include:

  • shops
  • offices
  • restaurants
  • leisure
  • warehouses and other non-industrial units

We also investigate accidents and look into concerns raised by employees and the public.

If the council is not responsible for health and safety in your business, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) may be able to help you find out who is.

Advice for businesses

All employers must ensure the health, safety and welfare of all their staff, customers and anybody else who may visit their site. They must spot the hazards relating to their work and assess the risks that the hazards pose. Ways to reduce or remove the risks must then be put into place. If the employer has five or more employees, they must keep a written record of this.

Hazards will be different for each workplace but could include:

  • slips and trips
  • falls from height
  • stress
  • workplace transport
  • substances hazardous to health (eg chemicals or dust)

Get more advice on how to comply with health and safety requirements.

Workplace accidents

Employers have a legal responsibility to report certain accidents to the HSE. If the council is responsible for health and safety in your business, an officer may contact you to investigate the accident.

You must report an accident if:

  • there has been a fatality or serious injury
  • the injured employee has been off work for more than seven days
  • a member of the public has been taken directly to hospital
  • an employee is suffering from an occupational disease

Check the rules on when you must report an accident.

Accidents must be reported to the HSE or you can report them by phone on 0345 300 9923.

rating button