Licensing of animal boarding establishments
- The premises will be inspected by an Authorised Officer and possibly a vet.
- The number of cats and dogs that can be accommodated will be specified on the licence.
The following criteria will be considered when processing the application:
- Animals are kept in suitable accommodation at all times.
- Suitable food, drink and bedding are provided and the animals are exercised and visited regularly.
- Steps are taken to prevent and control the spread of disease among the animals and that isolation facilities are in place.
- Adequate protection is provided to the animals in case of fire and other emergencies
- A register is kept containing a description of all animals, arrival and departure dates, name and address of owner and vet details.
Animal Boarding (exc Home boarding) - catteries & kennels £196.95 (Initial licence), £98.48 (Annual fee)
Animal Boarding - home boarding £150, £75 (Annual fee)
- apply for a licence
- renew a licence
- tell us about a change in circumstances
- Animal Boarding Establishment Application Form 2010.pdf - Please note that the establishment will not be operable until we have processed your application.
An applicant must not be disqualified from:
- Keeping an animal boarding establishment
- Keeping a pet shop under the pet animals act 1951
- Keeping animals under the protection of animals act 1954
- Owning, keeping, being involved in the keeping or being entitled to control or influence the keeping of animals, dealing in animals or transporting or being involved in the transportation of animals under the Animals Act 2006.
A summary of the regulations can be found in the Animal Boarding Establishments Act 1963.