Neighbour complaints - dust, smoke or fumes

Dust, smoke or fumes

Officers will investigate complaints about dust, smoke or fumes that are affecting the way you use your home and may be able to take action to stop them from affecting you.

You will be asked to complete a diary of when you are disturbed by the dust, smoke or fumes and to describe how it affects you.

This allows us to see whether the issue is likely to be causing a 'statutory nuisance' and if we will be able to help you resolve it.

Learn more about statutory nuisances in relation to how councils deal with complaints.


More information about smoke from bonfires can be found here.

Making a complaint

We encourage you to approach your neighbour to talk to them about the problem before contacting the council.

In many cases, people do not realise that there is an issue and will try to resolve things with you. If this does not work, you can contact the council and ask for our help.

If you would like the council to help you or if you would like some more advice, contact the Customer Service Centre on 01923 226400.

You can also email your enquiry to

rating button