You can view the hygiene ratings of Watford businesses online.
Environmental Health Officers carry out regular inspections of food businesses in Watford to:
- Check food businesses are complying with the law.
- Check food has been hygienically prepared and is safe to eat.
- Advise food proprietors on good practice.
Following an inspection, a business is given a rating under the National Food Hygiene Rating Scheme. These range from 0 (urgent improvement needed) to 5 (Very Good).
Inspections cover three main areas:
- How hygienically food is prepared, cooked, cooled, stored, and what measures are taken to prevent food being contaminated with bacteria.
- The structure of the premises, including cleanliness, layout, lighting, ventilation, equipment and other facilities.
- How food safety in the business is managed and what records are kept.