Health & Safety at Work for employees

Concerns about a workplace

If you have concerns about health and safety in your workplace, firstly you should inform your employer. This may be through your line manager or through a health and safety representative. If this does not resolve your issue, you can report your concern to the ‘enforcing authority’.

The Council are the enforcing authority for workplaces such as:

  • Shops,
  • Cafes & Restaurants,
  • Offices,
  • Warehouses,
  • Other non-industrial units.

In other workplaces, the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) may be the enforcing authority. You can find a more detailed list here.

Reporting your concern

If the Council is the enforcing authority, you can report your concern to the Customer Service Centre on 01923 226400 or by email to

An officer will then contact you to talk about your concern and to discuss how we may be able to help.

More advice

Lots of advice about health and safety for workers is available on the HSE website.


rating button