I'm homeless or at risk of being homeless

I may lose my home because of abuse and threats of violence, including domestic violence

If you think you may have to move out of your current home because you are facing abuse and threats of violence, including domestic violence, the following organisations can provide support for you:

If you are a woman affected by domestic abuse:

If you are a woman or a man affected by domestic abuse, you can contact the Safer Places service on their e-line number 03301 025811.  Support and refuge services are provided for Watford residents by Safer Places through the St Albans and Hertsmere Women's Refuge.  

If you are a man affected by domestic abuse, you can contact:

  • M.A.L.E – 0808 801 0327
  • MANKIND – 01823 33 42 44

If you are facing other threats or abuse, such as racial or homophobic harassment

  • In an emergency call 999 or 112
  • The Stop LGBT Hate Crime Helpline is a 24/7 Telephone Helpline covering England, Wales and Scotland. It can be contacted phone on 0808 801 0661
  • Organisations that can help with racial harassment are listed here


Advice and support from the council

Register first with the council's Housing Customer Portal here.  We will then contact you to arrange an appointment to see you within 5 working days to discuss your housing situation with you.  We will ask you to bring several documents to the appointment.  The documents needed include ones that prove your identity and your eligibility to receive advice and support, your family's details, anything written about  your housing situation such as a letter or notice asking you to leave and information about your income and expenditure.  More information about the Housing Customer Portal can be found here.


rating button