Right to Buy
Right to Buy allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount.
Current tenants of Watford Community Housing who were tenants of Watford Borough Council before the homes were transferred to the Trust still have the Right to Buy.
A number of issues are taken into account to decide whether a household can buy their council home under the Right to Buy. These include that:
- their council home is their only or main home
- they are a secure tenant
- their council home is self-contained
- they have been the tenant of a public sector landlord (eg, a council, housing association, NHS Trust) for at least three years. It does not have to be a continuous three year period
- they have not broken the terms of their tenancy agreement
- their landlord is not taking possession action against them
Find out if you are eligible to buy your council home.
Find out what level of discount you could get.