Disabled Facilities Grants

Adaptations and facilities

The grant can be used for adaptation to give you more independence and better movement into and around your home and/or to provide essential facilities in it. Types of work can include:

  • widening doors and installing ramps
  • providing or improving access to rooms and facilities (eg installing a stairlift and/or providing a level access shower instead of a bath)
  • adapting heating or lighting controls to make them easier to use
  • making the building safe

The Occupational Therapist will look at your circumstances and can recommend the types of adaptation(s) needed. Following this someone from the council will visit you to make sure the works proposed are reasonable and practical.

If you are a tenant of a housing association we encourage you to contact them before contacting the council as they have an obligation to provide adaptations but you will not normally have to be means tested.

rating button