Council tax charges 2017-18

Your council tax is collected by Watford Borough Council and pays for the services you receive from all the organisations listed below.

Each service is responsible for deciding how much council tax it wants to charge.

The increases and decreases are as follows :

  • Watford Borough Council: 2.00%
  • Police and Crime Commissioner: 3.40% 
  • Herts County Council: 1.99% (though shown as 2.00% on the bill)
  • Herts County Council Adult Social Care (ASC): 3.00%

 The charge for Hertfordshire County Council includes the levy for:

  • Environmental Agency - Thames Regional Flood and Coastal Authority
  • Lee Valley Regional Park Authority

How much has your council tax increased by?

Each organisation has decided how much their element of your council tax should increase and the amounts are shown in the table below.

Check which band your property is in on your council tax bill or visit the Valuation Office Agency website. 

You can find out more about how your council tax will be spent by Watford Borough Council, Hertfordshire County Council and Hertfordshire Police and Crime Commissioner for Hertfordshire 2017-18 budgets.

How your council tax is calculated

Your council tax band is based on how much your property was worth when council tax was introduced in 1993. Your council tax band is shown on your bill. Alternatively, you can check what your council tax band is using our self-service.

Your council tax band is decided by the Valuation Office Agency. The table below shows how much council tax you will pay for the services provided by Watford Borough Council.

The valuation range uses the open market value of the property as at 1 April 1991.

The charges from 1 April 2017 are detailed below:

Band Value of property 2017/18
A Under £40,000 £1101.77
B £40,001 to £52,000 £1285.41
C £52,001 to £68,000 £1469.03
D £68,001 to £88,000 £1652.67
E £88,001 to £120,000 £2019.93
F £120,001 to £160,000 £2387.19
G £160,001 to £320,000 £2754.44
H Over £320,001 £3305.34
  Overall % 4.37% (rounded up to 4.4%)

Prior years band

The figures for previous years are available here.

How can I find the banding for a particular property?

On the GOV.UK website you can check your council tax band.

Council tax valuation - appeals

 All enquiries relating to your council tax band, including your wish to appeal, must be directed to:

'The Listing Officer',
The Valuation Office,
St Peters House,
45 Victoria Street,
St Albans
AL1 3UG.

Telephone: 03000 501501
Fax: 03000 501323.

rating button