Building control applications

Make a building regulations application

Apply for Building Regulations

If you’re a homeowner or commercial developer, you can check to see if you need to make a building regulations application for your project. Most construction projects will require an application including:

  • New buildings
  • Extensions
  • Conversions
  • Alterations

There are three different applications you can make - full plans, building notice and retrospective regularisation. Before applying, you can check which type of application you will need to make.

When applying for an extension or creating a new dwelling, please make sure you have a site plan and location plan clearly showing the site (make sure all attachments are in PDF). You will also have to pay a fee when applying for full plans, building notice or retrospective regularisation.

Disability exemptions

The fee may not apply for building work that is for the benefit of a disabled person who is permanently living at the property. This includes work that is solely to provide access and facilities for the disabled person in an existing dwelling.

You will need to provide evidence of disability when making the application. This may be a letter from Occupational Health or Adult Care Services confirming disability, evidence of Disability Living Allowance.

Further information

For all homeowner and commercial building control queries, see Building regulations guidance and documents.

If you’re a homeowner and your query is about boundary walls and telling neighbours about the work that you’ll be carrying out, please see Party Wall Guidance. You’ll also find more information in The homeowner's guide to building regulation.

Feedback button