Private housing - tenants and landlords
There is lots of general guidance for tenants and landlords on private renting available on the web.
You can find information on homes available to rent from private landlords in a number of ways - websites such as Zoopla, Gumtree and RightMove, local lettings agents, adverts in the local newspaper and in shop windows.
Do you want to rent out your home?
The Housing Association Leasing Direct Scheme offers landlords a stress-free guaranteed income for their properties. The council can offer high quality housing management in association with Paradigm Housing Association who are market leaders in the provision of housing and tenant management.
For further details or if you wish to let your property via this scheme please contact the Housing Supply Team on 01923 226400 or contact Paradigm directly on 01895 678055.
A Deposit Guarantee Scheme may be available from the council to help certain groups of people rent privately, who can’t afford a deposit. This is done by:
- Providing a guaranteed deposit equivalent to one month’s rent.
- Allowing the deposit to be used to cover any damage and/or rent arrears.
- Taking a photographic inventory at the start and end of the tenancy.
- Providing a link between the landlord, tenant and Housing Benefit to ensure swift resolution of any problems where possible.
- Providing ongoing support to both parties throughout the tenancy, where appropriate.
- Referring tenants to private landlords without charging any fees.
- The scheme does not pay anything at the start of the tenancy or during the tenancy towards the rent, (however the tenant may be eligible for help towards rent payments through Housing Benefit).
We don’t manage the property or tenancy, but can advise landlords on how to do this effectively.
The idea of the scheme is to help prevent homelessness throughout the borough; it is offered to all private landlords and potential tenants who have been accepted by the council’s homelessness officers.
If you would like more information on the scheme, or would like to offer your rental property to the scheme, please contact our Housing Supply Team on 01923 226400.
Please follow the links below for information on safety, improvements and advice for private tenants and landlords.
How do you rate this information / service?