Watford has a thriving allotment movement. There are thirteen established allotment sites across the town of varying size.
Twelve of these are managed by Veolia on behalf of Watford Borough Council who are based at Wiggenhall Depot (WD18 0FB).
One site is currently self-managed by the Cherry Tree Allotment Association (contact Ollie Cowe on tel: 01923 492218).
Who can have a plot?
In Watford you can rent a plot if you pay your council tax to Watford Borough Council. If you aren’t sure whether you qualify, please contact Veolia on tel: 0203 567 6900 or email them on email@example.com
Where are they?
We have many plots available on many of our sites. Some sites are more popular than others but if you check with Veolia they can tell you exactly what is available. There are sites across the town though so the chances are there is one very near to you. Click on the map to see the locations of the sites.
• Briar Road (waiting list closed)
• Callowland, Leggatts Way
• Cherry Tree, Berry Avenue (self-managed)
• Garston Manor, Horseshoe Lane
• Tavistock Road
• Timberlake, Radlett Road
• Chester Road
• Farm Terrace (waiting list currently closed)
• Holywell, Vicarage Road
• Brightwell, Scammell Way
• Oxhey Grange, Oxhey Avenue
• Paddock Road, Lower Paddock Road
• Wiggenhall, Longcroft
How much does an allotment cost?
Allotment gardening is one of the cheapest hobbies you can take up. The basic cost for an allotment is £4.50 per 25 square metres per year. This increased by 2.5% in April 2014 from £4.40 per 25 square metres, due to inflation.
The average size of a plot is between 125 (5 poles) and 250 square metres (10 poles), but we do our best to suit everyone's needs, with smaller plots available on most sites. A typical plot rental therefore ranges from £23-£46 a year.
What facilities are there?
The allotments have recently benefited from a significant investment programme. The facilities on each site are now much improved and all sites have water tanks, most have self-composting toilets and some also have trading huts where you can purchase reasonably priced seeds and sundries – making it even cheaper to have a plot. However, if you wish to have a shed, polytunnel or greenhouse on the allotment, you will need permission from us to do so.
How do I get one?
Just follow these six simple steps:
1. Call Veolia on tel: 02035 676900 to get an application form, or click here to download one: please note that the waiting lists for Briar Road and Farm Terrace are closed;
2. Complete the form and return it to Veolia (post/email ) to go on the waiting list for your chosen site. We suggest you choose the one closest to your home, but please be aware that some sites may have waiting lists, so you might want to apply for a site with vacancies. Veolia will be happy to give you up-to-date information and advice;
3. There are very short or no waiting lists at Brightwell, Callowland, Holywell, Oxhey Grange, Paddock Road and Wiggenhall: however, this can change daily. This is the same with the number of vacant plots. Please call Veolia on 02035 676900 if you want to check on the waiting list for any site.
4. When a plot is available, Veolia will send you an offer email or letter: please keep them informed of any change of contact details;
5. Once you have confirmed that you still want to have a plot, they will arrange for you to view the available plot(s) with the site supervisor or one of their staff;
6. Finally, when you have agreed your plot, you need to complete a tenancy agreement, and then you will receive the key to the allotment site.